Hosted by the PEAL Center.
Young people with disabilities need and want to learn about relationships and sexuality, which is important for healthy development and well-being. Those with disabilities and special health care needs need information from their trusted adults! In this way, they are prepared to engage in relationships that are safe, make safe decisions, effectively communicate consent or non-consent, and have positive relationships.
- The first event will be for parents and caregivers, offering an overview of the topic of safe relationships and sexuality on September 6th at 7:00 PM.
- In late September PEAL will be starting a series for youth/young adults, Positive Relationships for Young People With Disabilities: Friends, Dating, and Beyond! This information will be presented by PEAL staff trainers certified to use the Elevatus Curriculum: Sexuality Education for People with Developmental Disabilities, an evidence-informed and trauma-informed approach.
1.) Honest Conversations: Safe Relationships and Sexuality (For Parents and Caregivers)
The first event will be for parents and caregivers, offering an overview of the topic of safe relationships and sexuality on September 6th at 7:00 PM.
Parents and Caregivers will:
- Examine barriers to talking about sexuality
- Gain knowledge about sexuality, sexual abuse, and developmental disabilities
- Acquire and practice skills in communicating with your child with a disability about sexuality
- Review topics offered in the Positive Relationships for Young People With Disabilities Series starting in late September. This series is for young people aged 14-26 years old, that parents and caregivers can register their young person for.
2.) Positive Relationships for Young People With Disabilities: Friends, Dating, and Beyond! (For Youth and Young Adults)
Talking about Relationships, Dating, and Consent! A Saturday morning series in September and October offering 5 topics of interest to your young person aged 14-26 years old: All Sessions are from 10:00 AM- 11:30 AM.
- 9/30: Different Kinds of Relationships:
- Explain the different kinds of relationships.
- Explore the kinds of feelings and touch that are OK in each kind of relationship.
- 10/7: Public and Private
- Review of different types of relationships.
- Learn what is public and private concerning: physical space
- how we speak
- different kinds of touch in private and public
- 10/14: Talking about Friendships
- Define what a friend is
- Examine why friendship is important
- Examine ways to make and keep friends
- Explore how we use body language to communicate
- 10/21: Communication in Relationships
- Define the different styles of communication using both words and body language
- Practice using assertive (speaking up) communication
- Discuss feelings that come with assertive communication
- 10/28: Making Decisions in Relationships
- Examine steps for making decisions
- Practice using the steps to make decisions
- Describe feelings associated with making decisions