Hide messageView More

Crisis Services

ASERT does not offer crisis services through our Resource Center. If you or someone you love is experiencing mental health distress or thoughts of suicide please call or text 988 for support.

Quick links: MyODP ASDNext AidInPA PhillyAP

Philly Tenant Resource Guide


The Philadelphia Eviction Prevention Tenant Resource Guide contains information on housing resources, including where to go for emergency shelter, legal assistance, and rental assistance; how to prepare for an eviction hearing; and how to address housing discrimination.


Where can I go for emergency shelter?

Monday-Friday, 7am-3pm

Single Women & Families

Apple Tree Family Center 1430 Cherry St (near Cherry and 15th) 215-686-7150, 7151, 7152, or 7153

Single Men

Roosevelt Darby Center 802 N Broad St (near Broad & Fairmount) 215-685-3700

After 3pm and Weekends

For Families

The Red Shield 715 N Broad St (near Broad & Fairmount) 215-787-2887

For Single Women

House of Passage Kirkbride Center 111 N 48th St (near 48th & Haverford) 215-471-2017 or 267-713-7778

For Single Men

Station House 2601 N Broad St (near Broad & Lehigh) 215-225-9232

Homeless Outreach Hotline at 215-232-1984

Philadelphia Domestic Violence Hotline at 866-723-3014

Where can I go for rent or security deposit assistance

Office of Homeless Services (OHS)

  • 1430 Cherry Street (Center City) Monday-Friday, 9am-4pm
  • Low-income tenants only. Assistance ranges from $0 – $1500
  • Call 215-686-7177 to see if they have funds.

Philadelphia County Assistance Office (CAO)

  • 801 Market Street Monday-Friday 8am-5pm 215-560-1976
  • Very low-income tenants only. Assistance ranges from $0 – $400

What should I bring?

  • Photo ID for all household members age 18 and over
  • Social Security cards and Birth Certificates for all household members
  • Proof of Income
    • Pay stubs (for last thirty days)
    • Employment letter (hrs, pay date(s), wages/salary)
    • Award Letter from Social Security office
    • Any other documentation of income
  • Lease Agreement
  • Eviction Notice and/or Court Documents

What should I get from my landlord?

  • Rental License also called a Housing Inspection License
  • W-9 signed by landlord
  • Letter with current balance owed signed and dated by landlord

How do I get my landlord to make repairs?

Document the repair issues.

  • Make a repair request in writing.
  • Take Pictures.
  • Get witnesses.

Bring attention to the repair

  • Request an Inspection
    • Licenses & Inspections. Call 311.
    • PHA Section 8 Inspection. Call 215-684-3860.
  • File a Fair Housing Commission Complaint.
    • Call 215-686-4670 or go to 601 Walnut St, Ste 300 South
  • Withhold rent. (For serious repair issues only)
    • Send rent withholding letter to landlord.
    • Escrow your rent. Open a bank account to deposit your rent or keep the rent in a money order.
  • Repair & deduct
    • Contact a repair person and ask for an estimate for the cost of repair.
    • Send a letter to landlord with a copy of the estimate.
    • Hire the repair person if the landlord does not complete the repairs in a reasonable amount of time. Keep the invoice and receipt.

Visit www.PhillyTenant.org for more information and sample letters.

Rate this resource

Thank you for rating this resource!

This resource created by PEPP