Quick links: MyODP ASDNext AidInPA PhillyAP

What to do if your SSI benefits were cut off when you turned 18

Action Steps


When you turn 18, the Social Security Administration (SSA) reviews your case to see if you still meet the requirements to receive SSI. The rules change when you turn 18, and some people lose their benefits.

Appeal NOW

If your SSI is cut off, you should appeal the decision immediately. If you respond within 10 days of getting the cut-off letter, you will keep getting your SSI checks at least until you have a hearing. To appeal, contact your local Social Security office to get an appeal form.

Keep seeing your doctors and therapists regularly

The Social Security Administration (SSA) needs proof that you are still disabled when you turn 18. It is very important to see your doctors and therapists regularly to give SSA the information it needs to make its decision.

Collect all documents from school and doctors

Medical and school records are very important for your SSI case. Put all papers from doctors and school in a safe place and bring them to any meetings about your case.

Tell SSA if you move

SSA will send you letters when it reviews your case. It is important for them to have your current address so you can respond quickly and avoid missing deadlines.

Don't worry about an overpayment

You will not have to pay for an over payment for checks you receive during your appeal as long as you think you are still disabled.

Where to Get Help

Community Legal Services
North Philadelphia Law Center
1410 West Erie Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19140

If you have been denied SSI because Social Security said you were not disabled: Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

For all other Social Security / SSI Issues: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM


Community Legal Services Center City Office
1424 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19102

Monday – Friday 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM

Rate this resource

Thank you for rating this resource!

Download entire resource (pdf)

This resource created by Community Legal Services of Philadelphia